Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Pisang... Pisang... Man-darin...

When I was in my early years as a freshman, I got to know so many clubs which I did not even join all of it. I’ve never thought being so active in those clubs. Except the Computer Club recommended by COM. Anyway, you’ve got the varieties and activities offered throughout your year so you won’t get bored just shagging your assignments and attending lectures. Also that year, seniors will be out in the field to grab new members. They will approach and talk to you. Moreover, there will be orientation nights to welcome new members into their orgy clubs. Being a second time entering another university after returning from Sydney, I still consider these event such an eye opener. Still, local students here are not as vocal as students from where I first started my tertiary education. Those were different and I liked it. One particular moment in my new uni and that I never forget.

One Chinese student (OCS) came over to talk to me:

OCS: Hi, ni hau, wo zhi XXXX… * extending his hand *
Me: Err… I am sorry… I don’t know how to speak mandarin… not much… but its nice to meet you!

OCS: Oh, you are a Chinese but you should know how to speak mandarin…
Me: No, I come from Kebangsaan Sekolah and I did not take the extra curricular to learn Mandarin.

OCS: Oh, you should start… maybe you can join our club and we can help you on that…
Me: Err.. no thanks… I am in a hurry… sorry… * I rush away *

OCS: Ok thanks and bye…

In another incident with my old room mate (gosh, I stayed with him for the next four years):

Fam: As a Chinese we all should know our roots, learn our culture, learn our mandarin. Mandarin will be the language being use widely in the world. Apart from that, we must understand our origin so yak yak yak… blah blah blah… yak yak yak…

Me: o_O””” ok ok… * just walk away *

Fam is a good friend now working in Kuala Lumpur and I hardly meet him after our graduation. He went his way to Penang to work while I remain in KL after my graduation all this years. Fam is a hardworking person and a very determined guy. However, he is very straightforward.

Then in one occasion in another incident, I found out that I was a banana.

Liew: Eh, you don’t speak mandarin.. you are a banana!
Me: Huh, why do you say that I am banana?

Liew: Outside yellow like Chinese but inside white like gwai lo speaking English lar…
Me: Huh… ini macam pun boleh ar? Hahahahahaha…

Liew: Hahahahahaha… you should learn a bit of mandarin so at least you can date some Chinese girls here mar… UNITEN girls here most of them speaks mandarin…
Me: Ok lar.. maybe If I wanted to know a girl in the lecture hall I shall start, “Hi my name is Wil, William. Me don’t know Mandarinnnn. Me know English and I am a banana from Australia. An Australian banana… imported and rich in potassium! What is your name? Maybe we can get fruity after this lecture… I’ve got one big banana plus two water chestnuts!”

Liew: o_O””” ok ok… hehehehe… * speechless *

Liew is a good friend working in INTEL, going to get married soon. He is very down to earth person but not as straightforward as Fam. He likes to maintain good relationship with everyone he knows. I learnt how to format PC from him…

Then in another occasion I have never seen a Bengali Indian Tiger claiming himself Chinese.

COM: I have Chinese god mother…
Me: hehehehe.. ok ok enough.. go back to your room… don’t come disturb me until dinner…

For COM this I only have to say, “You just can’t get enough out of him but if he is too much you get drunk!” Nowadays, he is busy with his own projects and helping out his brother.

All my four years in Uni, you can say that I am the ghost in the campus that not much people know my existence. Hardly active in their outings and clubbing. The place I haunted most will be the computer laboratory.



Is sky the limit… Pisang, Pisang, Pisang…

No comments: